SPANIERMAN

The Preeminent Gallery for American Art

For more than fifty years, Spanierman Gallery cultivated a reputation as one of the country’s preeminent galleries dedicated to American Art. Founded by Ira Spanierman in 1961, the gallery initially offered a wide selection of material, including silver, arms and armor, Old Master, European and American art. Over time, Spanierman chose to focus exclusively on American art, a move that would establish the gallery as a tour-de-force in the field. Well-known for his outstanding ‘eye’ and dedication to connoisseurship, Spanierman was trusted by institutions and private collectors alike. The gallery was known to have sold to hundreds of museums across the United States and abroad while fostering the development of some of the country’s most prestigious private collections. 

In addition to its reputation as a dealer, Spanierman Gallery was esteemed in the industry for its dedication and support of art scholarship. As a young man starting off in the business, Ira Spanierman recalled researching and identifying paintings through tedious research at the Frick Art Reference Library. These hours of study left an indelible mark on Spanierman who would go on to publish catalogue raisonnés for artists such as Theodore Robinson, John Henry Twachtman, Willard Metcalf, and co-sponsor the catalogue on the work of Winslow Homer. 

When Spanierman Gallery closed in 2014 an impressive inventory remained. We are pleased to be offering a selection of these works in our upcoming auctions. Paintings and sculpture by artists such as John Haberle, Childe Hassam, Walter Schofield, Ibram Lassaw, Theodoros Stamos, George Segal and Patrick Procter among others, will be offered over two days. The sales also features work from a few of the estates acquired by the gallery, such as: Burgoyne Diller, Gershon Benjamin, Hayley Lever, Charles Warren Eaton, Sears Gallagher and Abraham Bogdanove. 

Abraham Bogdanove 1888–1946

Abraham Bogdanove was a landscape painter, portraitist, muralist, and art teacher, who is best known for his dynamic images of Monhegan Island, Maine. Born in Minsk, Russia, he immigrated with his family to the United States in 1900, when he was fourteen years old. Almost immediately upon arrival in this country, he began to study art at the Cooper Union Institute of Art. In 1903, he entered the National Academy of Design and, concurrently, served an apprenticeship, for the Bull Durham Company in New York. He won the National Academy’s esteemed Hallgarten Prize for three consecutive years. He rounded out his study at the Columbia University School of Architecture.
After traveling to Europe in 1912-1913, Bogdanove returned to New York and began teaching at the New York Evening School of Industrial Art. In 1913, he received his first mural commission. Other murals soon followed including a mural on the theme of education for Commercial High School. He also painted murals for Brooklyn's Manual Training High School and the College of the City of New York.
By the 1910s, he began to explore landscape painting. He visited Maine for the first time in 1915. There he was inspired by the dramatic vistas of mountains plunging to the sea that had been painted by Frederic E. Church and Fitz Hugh Lane. By 1918, he found his way to Monhegan, a tiny island seventeen miles Maine’s midcoast. On the island, Bogdanove found a subject worthy of sustained focus and would return annually until his death.
His work was included in annual exhibitions at the National Academy of Design, the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, the Carnegie Institute, and the Corcoran Gallery. By the late 1920s, he was represented by the Leonard Clayton Gallery in New York.
Bogdanove's work was exhibited and included in the collections of many important public collections in including the Farnsworth Museum, Rockland, Maine, and the Monhegan Museum, Maine.