Avant-garde stage director and playwright Robert Wilson is what many would consider a contemporary renaissance man. In addition to his theatrical pursuits, Wilson is a visual artist whose works include drawing, painting, sculpture, installation, video, and a designer of lighting, furniture, and public space. Wilson obtained an architecture degree at Pratt Institute, apprenticed with architects Philip Johnson and Paolo Soleri, and has collaborated with some of the greatest luminaries of recent times including Philip Glass, Laurie Anderson, Tom Waits, and Marina Abramovic. In 1990 he founded a performing arts laboratory, The Watermill Center, which hosts artist residencies and exhibitions. A voracious collector, Wilson has accumulated an incredible diversity of objects from a range of cultures and historical periods, from Indonesian artifacts to works by contemporary artists. In the artist's words, his collection aspires to encompass "a visual history of humankind". The works on offer in this auction provide a window through which we can better understand what informs Wilson's manifold creative interests and projects.
Property from the Collection<br>of Robert Wilson
Finn Juhl was a pioneering designer, famed for his organic, sculptural style, as well as a key proponent of bringing mid-century Scandinavian design to the wider world market. Born in Frederiksberg, Denmark in 1912, Juhl’s father was a textile wholesaler who insisted that his son pursue architecture, rather than studying art history, which was his real passion as a young man. In 1930, he enrolled in the Royal Danish Academy of Art’s School of Architecture in Copenhagan.
After graduating in 1934, Juhl went on to work for architect Vilhelm Lauritzen for eleven years. During this time, monumental shifts were taking place in architectural practice and theory; at the time, historicism was still the predominant style, with a surge of Neoclassism beginning around 1910. By the mid-1930s, functionalism had emerged as both a practical and aesthetic style to meet the changing needs of a rapidly modernizing society. Innovative materials and building methods were developed, creating an entirely new architectural language. Juhl worked on The Radio House (Radiohuset) in Copenhagan with Lauritzen, the headquarters of the national Danish broadcast company. Completed in 1945, it is one of the first major works built in Scandinavia in the prevailing functionalist style.
Auction Results Finn Juhl
custom wall-mounted sofa from the Villa K. Kokfeldt, Hellerup, Denmark