Condition Report

Bid online at Bidsquare >

We will take you to Bidsquare, our preferred online bidding platform. Create your user account on Bidsquare (it only takes a moment) and register as a bidder in this sale.

Return to Catalog >

Continue browsing on Rago.

Bid with Rago >

Arrange a phone/absentee bid.

Back to Modern Design / January 20, 2019

X

ALBERT PALEY (b. 1944)

1171

ALBERT PALEY (b. 1944)

Estimate: $12,000 - $18,000

Six railings, Rochester, NY, 1979
Forged, fabricated, and painted steel
Unmarked
Overall: 48" x 481" x 4"
Provenance: Clyde's Restaurant, Tysons Corner, VA

All have side mounting and will require professional installation. Lengths of each section: 73", 48", 96", and 88" (three). Light scuffs, scratches, and oxidation evenly throughout. Possible overcoat to original finish. Bottom and side mounting, requires professional installation. Does not come with any hardware.



Condition reports (given as opinion and not as guaranteed statements of fact) are added online throughout the auction process. The absence of a condition report does not imply that there are no condition issues with the lot. Please call (609) 397-9374 or e-mail info@ragoarts.com with any questions about this lot at least 24 hours prior to auction.

Lots 1163 through 1171 were part of an impressive multi-year commission that, in addition to the architectural columns and the railings, also included door handles, table legs, a fireplace andiron, and a fountain for the interior of stylish Clyde's Restaurant in Tyson's Corner, VA outside of Washington, D.C. The restaurant was designed by the late John Richard Andrews, who became known in the city as "Clyde's Architect." Clyde's CEO John Laytham contracted Paley to design the interior. Beginning in 1979 with the columns and railings and ending in 1981 with push plates for the revolving doors, it was Paley's first use of repetitive elements in a design. Each component incorporates organic and sinuous lines, hallmarks of his elegant yet powerful creations. The restaurant opened in 1981, closed in 2017, and was well-known for its upscale roadhouse feel and eclectic décor.