We will take you to Bidsquare, our preferred online bidding platform. Create your user account on Bidsquare (it only takes a moment) and register as a bidder in this sale.
Continue browsing on Rago.
Arrange a phone/absentee bid.
Estimate: $15,000 - $20,000
Two massive lanterns and four architectural elements by Albert Paley and statue by George Stanley as part of a fountain, Rochester, NY, 1980 (Paley)
Forged, formed, and fabricated steel and brass, frosted glass, five sockets each
One lantern signed and dated, statue signed with roman numerals
142" x 31" x 65", statue: 56" x 14" x 14"
George Stanley designed the Academy Award of Merit, also known as the Oscar
Provenance: Clyde's Restaurant, Tysons Corner, VA
Lanterns: Some light scuffs and scratches, some spots of oxidation to lower portion of base (20" from bottom). Statue: Oxidation to base. Four archectural elements: Possible overcoats to original finish. Light to moderate scuffs and scratches throughout. Some spots of oxidation. Heavy and well-made. Good overall condition. Professional installation required. Lanterns are bolted to the floor and wired to a power source. Fountain base not included.
Condition reports (given as opinion and not as guaranteed statements of fact) are added online throughout the auction process. The absence of a condition report does not imply that there are no condition issues with the lot. Please call (609) 397-9374 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about this lot at least 24 hours prior to auction.
Lots 1163 through 1171 were part of an impressive multi-year commission that, in addition to the architectural columns and the railings, also included door handles, table legs, a fireplace andiron, and a fountain for the interior of stylish Clyde's Restaurant in Tyson's Corner, VA outside of Washington, D.C. The restaurant was designed by the late John Richard Andrews, who became known in the city as "Clyde's Architect." Clyde's CEO John Laytham contracted Paley to design the interior. Beginning in 1979 with the columns and railings and ending in 1981 with push plates for the revolving doors, it was Paley's first use of repetitive elements in a design. Each component incorporates organic and sinuous lines, hallmarks of his elegant yet powerful creations. The restaurant opened in 1981, closed in 2017, and was well-known for its upscale roadhouse feel and eclectic décor.